Posted on June 5, 2020 by admin
Friends and Neighbors,
In a press release and during his daily press briefing, Governor Lamont announced Executive Order 7WW which makes clarifications to the previously-announced Executive Order 7LL, and also clarifies limits to alcohol service and sales regarding catering.
To watch a video of his press conference, please click here:
More information and the governor’s full press release can be read here: https://portal.ct.gov/Office-of-the-Governor/News/Press-Releases/2020/06-2020/Governor-Lamont-Coronavirus-Update-June-4
Executive Order No. 7WW enacts the following provisions:
**Download: Governor Lamont’s Executive Order No. 7WW
Governor Lamont and Banking Commissioner Perez announce 60-day extension to mortgage relief program
Governor Lamont and Banking Commissioner Jorge Perez today announced that over 45 banks and credit unions have agreed to extend their voluntary participation in the Connecticut Mortgage Relief Program, which provides relief to consumers facing financial hardship due to COVID-19. The program, launched on March 31, 2020 and set to expire on May 31, 2020 will now run through July 30, 2020.
“While the state continues its progress towards safely re-opening, Connecticut residents continue to be impacted by the economic fallout of the pandemic” Governor Lamont said. “By extending the Connecticut mortgage relief program through July 30, 2020, credit unions and banks have demonstrated their commitment to help their members and customers through this crisis. I am grateful for their participation in this program.”
The program, launched on March 31, 2020, extends the following original provisions through July 30, 2020:
This agreement means that participating banks and credit unions will continue to not initiate any new foreclosures, foreclosure sales and evictions for another 60 days. It also extends the relief on certain fees until that date. The mortgage relief program, applies only to mortgages owned by banks and credit unions, also known as “portfolio mortgages.”
“By voluntarily agreeing to extend their participation in this initiative, Connecticut banks and credit unions have shown us that they once again stand ready to assist their customers and members during difficult times,” Commissioner Perez said. “This initiative is designed to provide relief for residents of the state who are feeling the economic impacts of COVID-19. We are all in this together and our financial institutions have shown they are partners to help get us through.”
“For almost 100 years, credit unions in Connecticut have relied on the collective ability of their members to support one another,” Bruce Adams, president and CEO of the Credit Union League of Connecticut said. “As not-for-profit financial institutions, we leverage the collective strength of our members to provide flexible, creative, and compassionate assistance to the people and communities who need it the most. We applaud Governor Lamont for affirming our unique ability to help in times of need.”
“Connecticut banks are ready to continue to assist their customers,” Tom Mongellow, President of the Connecticut Banker’s Association, said. “They understand that these are uncertain times and are ready to help ensure the financial well-being of Connecticut residents. When customers reach out directly to their bank, they will find a helpful and willing partner.”
For a list of participating financial institutions and a Q&A on the program, click here.
Judicial branch continues with expansion of operations
The Connecticut Judicial Branch today announced that effective Monday, June 29, it is targeting the resumption of limited operations at four additional courthouse locations, including the Judicial District courthouses in Danbury, Milford, and Stamford, and the Geographical Area No. 11 courthouse in Danielson.
The expansion will bring the number of open courthouses to 17, including the Supreme Court, the Appellate Court, 13 Superior Court locations, and two juvenile court locations. As such, one Superior Court courthouse will be open in each of the 13 Judicial Districts.
The Judicial Branch is also planning to expand its hours and days of operations to the following:
Most work within the open court locations will continue to focus on those most pressing matters, such as criminal arraignments for defendants held on bond, domestic violence cases, restraining orders, emergency child custody matters, juvenile detention hearings, and all other emergency matters.
For more information on today’s announcement, read the press release issued by the Judicial Branch. Additional guidance on the impact of COVID-19 on the courts continues to be updated on the Judicial Branch’s website at jud.ct.gov.
Governor Lamont Establishes Program to Reimburse Towns and Cities for Expenses Related to COVID-19
(HARTFORD, CT) – Governor Ned Lamont today announced that his administration is establishing the Connecticut Municipal Coronavirus Relief Fund Program, which will set a process by which municipal governments will receive reimbursements from the state using the federally supported Coronavirus Relief Fund to offset their expenses related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
In April, the Lamont administration asked all 169 municipalities to provide the state with information on their actual and projected expenses expressly related to combating the public health crisis from between March 1, 2020 through June 30, 2020. To date, municipalities have reported nearly $40 million in direct costs during this period. Federal rules prevent states from using the CARES Act funding to backfill lost government revenue and require the money to only be used for direct expenses related to the pandemic. To fund this program, the administration is setting aside $75 million and will re-evaluate this allocation for reimbursements beyond June 30.
OPM today sent a letter to every municipality in the state outlining the process for reimbursement under this program. The agency has also launched an informational website for municipalities, with the application portal to be open within the next several days.
In addition to this municipal reimbursement program, the state is using its share of CARES Act funding to cover the large costs associated with testing, the purchase of personal protective equipment, additional assistance to nursing homes, and increased state agency needs that will also directly and indirectly benefit municipalities.
The Lamont administration also previously notified Connecticut’s towns and cities and their respective boards of education about $111 million that is available to them through the Elementary and Secondary School Education Relief Fund (ESSERF), which is also part of the CARES Act. These funds will help offset increased education expenses, which are typically the largest annual expense incurred by municipalities. This funding will complement the $27.8 million already announced for the Governor’s Emergency Education Relief Fund and can be used to ensure each student has access to the technology and connectivity they need for remote learning, improving distance learning curricula, addressing how to safely reopen after the pandemic, and providing social and emotional supports for students. If municipalities and their respective boards of education have expenses beyond the amounts or eligibility of the ESSERF, they may then still apply for reimbursement under the Connecticut Municipal Coronavirus Relief Fund Program. There has also been a distribution of new Community Development Block Grant funds, Emergency Shelter Grant funds, Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS, and direct Justice Assistance Grants to help with housing, shelter, and transition services for the impoverished, ill, and recently released from incarceration.
As of 4:00 p.m. – Thursday, June 4th – the state is reporting a total of 43239 cases of Coronavirus. Updated virus totals and Town-by-Town statistics can be accessed here: https://portal.ct.gov/Coronavirus
The total statewide number of COVID-19 associated fatalities is 4007.
*In Connecticut during the early months of this pandemic, it became increasingly clear that it would be necessary to track probable COVID-19 cases and deaths, in addition to laboratory-confirmed (RT- PCR) cases and deaths. This was needed to better measure the burden and impact of this disease in our communities and is now part of the national surveillance case definition for COVID-19. Probable cases of COVID-19 involve persons who have not had confirmatory laboratory testing (RT-PCR) performed for COVID-19, but whose symptoms indicate they are likely to have a COVID-19 infection. In Connecticut, most of the probable COVID-19 cases involve persons whose death certificates list COVID-19 disease or SARS-CoV-2 as a cause of death or a significant condition contributing to death. Prior to June 1, probable and confirmed cases were reported together.
Latest COVID-19 Testing Data in Connecticut
Updated 4:00 p.m. on Thursday, June 4, 2020
Total patients who tested positive: 41171 confirmed/2068 probable
Fairfield County: 15133/291
Hartford County: 9947/302
Litchfield County: 1339/21
Middlesex County: 1113/35
New Haven County: 11191/147
New London County: 1042/25
Tolland County: 784/14
Windham County: 389/1
Pending address validation: 233/0