Orange, Milford, West Haven

Governor’s Budget Proposal – Public Hearing

Posted on March 14, 2019 by admin


Facebooktwittergoogle_plusmail

Dear Neighbors,

On Friday, Governor Ned Lamont’s budget proposal will be in front of the Finance, Revenue, and Bonding Committee. As you may know, the governor is looking to increase revenues by implementing 53 tolls throughout the state and expanding the sales tax to include new items and services.

Here are just a couple of services and items that will now fall under the sales tax:

– Legal services
– Accounting services
– Real estate activities and agents/brokers
– Veterinary services
– Barber shops and beauty salons
– Sports/recreation instruction and industries
– Renovation and repair of residential property
– Non-prescription drugs
– Bicycle helmets
– Child car seats
– Vegetable seeds
– Safety apparel

The governor’s budget proposal also looks to eliminate the following:

-The sales tax-free week
-The increased exemption for social security income
-The exemption for pension and annuity income

For the full list click here.

(more…)

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusmail

Rep. Ferraro Participates in Milford’s Read Across America Day

Posted on March 13, 2019 by admin


Facebooktwittergoogle_plusmail

MILFORD – State Rep. Charles Ferraro reads to students at Live Oaks Elementary School on Friday for Milford’s Read Across America Day.

Rep. Ferraro said, “Read Across America Day is an important day and month that shows students that reading should be fun. Reading is a fundamental that you will need throughout your life and learning to enjoy it makes learning how to read that much easier.”

(more…)

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusmail

Rep. Ferraro Supports Ban on Plastic Bags, Against a Tax

Posted on March 13, 2019 by admin


Facebooktwittergoogle_plusmail

HARTFORD – State Representative Charles Ferraro testified before the Environment Committee to express his support for legislation to ban single-use plastic bags and to oppose legislation to tax plastic bags on Monday.

Rep. Ferraro, who has degrees in Biology and Fishery Biology, said that s. every year, anywhere from about 8 to 12 million U.S. tons of plastic end up in the world’s oceans.

“Unfortunately, we collectively treat the oceans worse than most of us treat the inside of our cars,” explained Rep. Ferraro. “. Approximately 40% of the world’s 7.6 billion people live within 62 miles (100km) of an ocean coast. For the other 60%, some of whom may never have even seen an ocean, the seas still play a vital role in their lives. Using such alternative bags will help lower the amount of throw-away plastic bags, thus helping conservation efforts.”

(more…)

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusmail