Posted on October 19, 2018 by admin
|October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, an annual campaign to increase breast cancer awareness and education, while also promoting research into its cause, prevention, diagnosis and treatment.
Please consider supporting Breast Cancer Awareness Month, whether it be through a donation
, or simply by purchasing the “pink” version of your favorite everyday products.
I am proud to help spread the word about the importance of this cause, which is meaningful to so many families in our community.
Please be aware of the following facts about breast cancer:
- Breast cancer is the second most frequently diagnosed cancer in women
- Besides being female, age is the most notable risk factor for breast cancer
- Potentially modifiable risk factors for the disease include weight gain and obesity, use of menopausal hormone therapy, physical inactivity, having high breast tissue density and alcohol consumption
- Mammography can often detect breast cancer at an early stage, when treatment is more effective and a cure is more likely
- In 2018, it’s estimated that among U.S. women and men there will be: 266,120 new cases of invasive breast cancer and 40,920 breast cancer deaths among women. Also, there will be 2,550 new cases of invasive breast cancer and 480 breast cancer deaths among men
For more information on breast and other types of cancers, please read these key facts and statistics from the American Cancer Society