Posted on February 28, 2020
HARTFORD – The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is closely monitoring an outbreak of respiratory disease caused by a novel (new) coronavirus (COVID-19) that was first detected in Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China. According to the CDC, efforts at this time are focused concurrently on containing spread of this virus and mitigating the impact of this virus.
CDC has also stated the immediate risk of this new virus to the American public is believed to be low at this time. Regardless, everyone can do their part to help in the response to this emerging public health threat.
Here are some helpful health tips to limit the spread of coronavirus and protect yourself:
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then through the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
For additional resources, you can click on the following links: