Posted on January 18, 2019 by admin
Update Shelter/Warming Center Listings
Connecticut’s cold weather emergency protocol will be activated from noon on Sunday, January 20 through noon on Wednesday, January 23.
We are writing to remind you that United Way of Connecticut 2-1-1 can help those in need access cold weather resources. If you receive a call from someone looking for shelter and you are not aware of any shelter space, please direct the person to call 2-1-1.
Click HERE to access our current list of cold weather resources.
Help Keep Us Up to Date!
During this cold weather emergency (and in future cold weather/winter weather events), when your municipality opens an emergency shelter or warming center, please email the following information to email@example.com for inclusion in our emergency resource listing:
1. Location of the shelter or warming center
2. Dates/Times of operation
3. Who is eligible to visit center? Residents only?
4. Is the site handicapped accessible?
5. Are pets welcome?
6. What should individuals bring with them?
7. Contact name and phone number
Contact the United Way at firstname.lastname@example.org or (860) 571-6059 with any questions.
Posted on January 18, 2019 by admin
Please see the message below from Eversource regarding the snow storm expected to impact our area this weekend.
As always, you may contact my office with questions. Please be safe!
BERLIN, Conn. (January 18, 2019) – With a powerful storm making its way across the country that is expected to bring snow, ice, sleet and freezing rain to Connecticut this weekend followed by frigid temperatures, Eversource is ready to address any storm-related power outages or damage to the electric system. The energy company has line workers, tree crews and support staff ready to respond and is encouraging customers to also prepare for the possibility of outages.
“We are closely monitoring weather conditions and planning accordingly so we have crews in position to respond and be there for our customers when they need us,” said Eversource Vice President of Electric System Operations Mike Hayhurst. “Given the extremely cold temperatures we’re expecting following the storm, it’s crucial for customers to take precautions and prepare in the event of power outages.”
Eversource recommends customers assemble or restock a storm kit with essential items, including pet food and medications, before a storm strikes. The energy company also offers the following tips on its website to help customers prepare for emergencies:
Eversource reminds customers to always stay clear of downed wires and to report them immediately to 9-1-1. Be sure to report any outage online at www.eversource.com, or by calling 800-286-2000. Customers who signed up for the company’s two-way texting feature can send a text to report an outage and receive outage updates as they happen.
Additional preparedness tips can be found at the Storm Preparedness section at Eversource.com.
Posted on January 16, 2019 by admin
As we go through the winter / holiday season we would like to remind everyone to please practice these fire safety tips to keep yourself and your loved ones safe this winter:
* Remove and dispose of old Christmas trees, wreaths, roping. They burn fiercely as they may have been cut in early Fall.
* Be extremely careful with candles and other open flames.
* Put fireplace ashes in a metal ash can and keep can outside, away from house. Embers stay hot for days. Plastic, paper or cardboard must not be used to remove or store ash.
* Keep space heaters at least 3’ away from combustibles.
* Don’t leave pots on the stove unattended.
* Do not run your generator in your garage, run outdoors in a wide open area. Note the wind direction and where exhaust is going.
* Make sure your home has WORKING smoke alarms and Carbon monoxide detectors on every level of your house.
* Be careful when warming your vehicle. Be diligent if your vehicle operates by a fob or push button ignition. Always make sure your vehicle is off when in the garage.
If you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact our Fire Marshals Division at Firemarshals@greenwichct.org