Posted on November 2, 2021
Hartford – The State of Connecticut has launched its 2021 Tax Amnesty program. To learn more about the program, you can visit GetRightCt.com. The program runs from November 1, 2021 through January 31, 2022. The program provides a 75% reduction in interest and waives penalties and the possibility of criminal prosecution to those who have not filed, have under reported or have existing liabilities related to taxes owed to the State for any tax period ending on or before December 31, 2020.
Click here to review the official announcement for the Dept. of Revenue Services.
Tax Amnesty applications must be filed electronically, and payment made in full by January 31, 2022. Once Tax Amnesty ends taxpayers will be liable for the full tax, penalty, and interest on any amount owed.
The following are eligible for the program:
- Individuals or businesses that owe taxes and are required by law to file a tax return with DRS – within an eligible tax period – but have not filed. Individuals or businesses that previously filed a tax return with DRS – for an eligible tax period – but did not report all the tax that was due.
- Individuals or businesses that currently have an unpaid tax liability with DRS that includes tax and penalty and/or interest.
- Individuals or businesses currently under audit by DRS for periods ending on or before December 31, 2020.
- Any individual or business with a protest pending before DRS’s Appellate Division.
- Any individual taxpayer or business currently pursuing civil litigation with DRS.
Additionally, here are the types of taxes eligible:
- Business use tax
- Cigarette tax
- Corporation business tax
- Gift tax
- Income tax (individuals, estates, and trusts)
- Individual use tax
- Motor vehicle fuels tax
- Sales and use tax
- Withholding tax
- Pass-through entity tax