Posted on May 7, 2019 by admin
State Representative Dave Yaccarino (R-87), in conjunction with Connecticut National Guard, North Haven Police Department, North Haven Fire Department and American Legion Post 76 is hosting an annual Memorial Day Collection Drive and Touch-A-Truck to collect items to benefit area veterans in need.
The event will take place on Saturday, May 25th (immediately following the Memorial Day parade) from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at North Haven Fire Department located at 11 Broadway in North Haven. Parking can be found at the Fire Department, but also on Church Street, Linsley Street, and at American Legion Post 76.
There will be a ‘Humvee’ on the premises to collect non-perishable food items, toiletries and clothing that will then be donated to Columbus House in New Haven, which helps homeless veterans throughout Connecticut by providing shelter and services to give them a fresh start.
What: Veterans Collection Drive
When: Saturday, May 25th from 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Where: North Haven Fire Department, 11 Broadway in North Haven
Some of the needed items include:
- New men’s boxer underwear (sizes medium, large & x-large)
- New women’s underwear (sizes 7 through 12)
- Bottled water
- Women’s & men’s deodorant
- Travel-size toothpaste, soap, shampoo
- Full-size shampoo
- Men’s & women’s razors & shaving cream
- Gift cards – $25 Stop & Shop gift cards, $5 Dunkin’ Donuts gift cards, Big Lots, Walmart, CVS & Walgreens
- Wash cloths
- Bath towels
- Rain ponchos
- Waist wallets/hip packs in neutral colors
- Insect repellent
- Nonperishable food items
- Nonperishable canned goods
- Packages of hard candies
- Instant coffee and hot cocoa
- Powder drink mixes
- Chewing gum