Posted on July 3, 2018 by rjoslyn
As our communities continue to recover from the unexpected and devastating storm that hit our part of Connecticut in May, I wanted to update you on the status of storm recovery efforts and clarify the degree of anticipated help from FEMA.
Here are the estimates of the storm damage I received from New Fairfield (subject to change):
- Debris Removal (assumes 50,000 yards of chipped debris, final disposal and monitors) $3,250,000.00
- Storm Related Costs (Shelter, overtime, equipment, fuel, etc. as of 6/15) $144,000.00
- Estimated Home Damage (provided by approx. 220 homeowners, includes property damage estimates and tree removal estimates) $2,500,000.00
In the Town of Sherman, $50,000.00 – broken out by public roads and does not include volunteer hours.
New Fairfield, Sherman, and New Milford have each hired contractors and cleanup is underway.
- Sherman has finished clearing debris from all town roads and some private roads
- New Fairfield’s debris removal began on Monday and is estimated to continue until August 8, though this could change
- In Danbury, cleanup is expected to begin after the Fourth of July holiday
Officials in New Fairfield, Sherman, New Milford and Danbury have been in touch with FEMA in regards to obtaining federal assistance for public land, roads and utilities.We hope to know soon how much FEMA funding each town will qualify for.
Private/non-profit organizations can also attempt to secure federal assistance for disaster management and recovery. Visit this link for information from the State of Connecticut on how to apply.
FEMA also has information on applicant eligibility and the steps involved with receiving assistance, available here. Relevant information can be found on pages “9” and “54.”
I have been working in concert with local officials to make sure we receive as much aid as our communities will need.
If you are aware of an unresolved issue from the storm or have questions about applying for federal assistance, please do not hesitate to contact my office and I will be happy to help. You can send me an email at email@example.com or give me a phone call at 800-842-1423.