Posted on June 7, 2022
In late April, Republicans proposed a $1.2 billion tax relief package aimed at combatting rising inflation in order to provide much needed relief for low to middle class families.
Today, we are once again calling on our colleagues to join our calls to act. This new plan requires zero budget cuts and utilizes $746.2 million in the state’s surplus fund to:
- Permanently reduce the income tax from 5% to 4%
- Reduce the sales tax from 6.35% to 5.99%
- Eliminate the 1% tax on prepared meals
- Expand the gas tax to include diesel
- Eliminate the Highway Use Tax (HUT)
- Bolster assistance to families that need help paying for energy costs (like heating oil)
We are urging you to join us. Visit https://www.affordableconnecticut.com/ and sign the petition to have the legislature come back in for a special session. We are also planning “Rally for an Affordable Connecticut” events around the state, so stay tuned for upcoming locations.