Posted on November 3, 2021
Individuals and businesses in the state of Connecticut are now eligible to claim amnesty for back taxes they owe for any tax period ending on or before December 31, 2020.
This program is available from November 1, 2021 to January 31, 2022.
The program provides a 75% reduction in interest and waives penalties and the possibility of criminal prosecution of those who have not filed, under-reported, or have existing liabilities related to taxes owed.
The following situations are covered under CT’s Tax Amnesty program:
- Individuals or businesses that owe taxes and are required by law to file a tax return with DRS – within an eligible tax period – but have not filed. Individuals or businesses that previously filed a tax return with DRS – for an eligible tax period – but did not report all the tax that was due.
- Individuals or businesses that currently have an unpaid tax liability with DRS that includes tax and penalty and/or interest.
- Individuals or businesses currently under audit by DRS for periods ending on or before December 31, 2020.
- Any individual or business with a protest pending before DRS’s Appellate Division.
- Any individual taxpayer or business currently pursuing civil litigation with DRS.
Additionally, here are the types of taxes eligible:
- Business use tax
- Cigarette tax
- Corporation business tax
- Gift tax
- Income tax (individuals, estates, and trusts)
- Individual use tax
- Motor vehicle fuels tax
- Sales and use tax
- Withholding tax
- Pass-through entity tax
To learn more about this program, visit www.GetRightCT.com.