Posted on February 26, 2020
This Thursday, February 27th, the Finance, Revenue, & Bonding Committee will hold a public hearing on H.B. 5040, An Act Establishing an Excise Tax on Ammunition.
Finance, Revenue, & Bonding Public Hearing – Proposed Tax on Ammunition
Legislative Office Building (LOB), room 2E, 300 Capitol Avenue, Hartford
Thursday, February 27th, 2020 beginning at 1:00 p.m.
I strongly oppose this bill. This bill is another attempt by some to infringe on our Second Amendment Rights. Not only will this proposed tax disproportionately affect law-abiding citizens and small business owners who sell ammunition, but it is just the latest attempt by Hartford Democratic leaders to reach into our pockets to cover up a deficit they created.
I encourage you to testify on this bill, whether in person or by submitting a statement online (instructions below). I also encourage you to share this message with others who may not be receiving these updates so they may be made aware of this important public hearing.
How to Testify in Person
- Come to the Legislative Office Building (LOB) this Thursday, February 27th.
- Speaking order will be determined by a lottery system. Numbers will be drawn between 10:00 a.m and noon in the First Floor Atrium of the LOB.
- The hearing will take place in Room 2E.
- Please submit 30 copies of written testimony to the committee staff in the First Floor Atrium.
- Please email written testimony in Word or PDF format to FINtestimony@cga.ct.gov.
- The first hour of the hearing is reserved for elected officials.
- Speakers will be limited to three minutes of testimony.
- Oral testimony should be a condensed summary of your written statement.
- Tips and FAQs about testifying are available on our website by clicking here.
How to Submit Testimony Online
- Send a brief email ASAP to FINtestimony@cga.ct.gov.
- Testimony must be in Word or PDF format.
- Reference Proposed Bill No. 5040 LCO No. 612 in the subject line.
- Include your name and town.
- You may copy me on the email at Mastrofrancesco@housegop.ct.gov.
- Feel free to attend the hearing and listen to what others have to say on this important topic, even if you do not plan to testify in person. You may also watch live on Connecticut Network (CT-N).
As always, if you’d like to discuss this issue or any state government matter, I am available to speak with you directly.
My office phone: (860) 240-8700 or toll free (800) 842-1423 and my email Gale.Mastrofrancesco@housegop.ct.gov.