Posted on March 5, 2018 by rjoslyn
The 2018 legislative session is underway and so are the public hearings regarding proposed bills for this year. Public hearings are good opportunities to tell the legislature what you think about the bills up for consideration.
The full calendar of General Assembly events, including all public hearings, can be found here.
Here are some topics that will be discussed in public hearings scheduled March 5th thru March 9th:
- Insurance: working with the National Association for Mental Illness (NAMI) I co-introduced, an act concerning mental health parity, data reported by managed care organizations and the all-payer claims database (SB 384)
- Veterans Affairs: an act concerning benefits for veterans who have been diagnosed with post-traumetic stress disorder or traumatic brain injury or who have had an experience of military sexual trauma (SB 284)
- Public Safety: an act concerning mental health and wellness training and suicide prevention for police officers (SB 278)
- Aging: an act increasing funding for aging in-place initiatives (HB 5243)
- Education: an act concerning special education funding (SB 364)
- Environment: an act establishing standards for the adequacy of dog shelters during extreme weather conditions (HB 5355)
If you find that the aforementioned issues are relevant to you or your family, I encourage you to let your voice be heard.
You can testify at the hearing. (Click here for a guide for testifying at hearings and here for driving directions to the Connecticut State Capitol and Legislative Office Building).
You can also email testimony on any of the bills. Go to cga.ct.gov and click on the appropriate committee. Your comments can be as brief as you like, but there is no limit on the length of written testimony. Just include your name and town, include the subject of the bill in the subject line of the email, and please copy my office at Brenda.Kupchick@cga.ct.gov on your testimony.
If you have additional questions or concerns, please contact my office at (800) 842-1423, or email me at Brenda.Kupchick@cga.ct.gov. You can also follow my legislative activity on my website: www.RepKupchick.com.
I hope this information is helpful.