Original Stamford Deed Unveiling

Posted on November 19, 2021


STAMFORD, Conn. — State Representative Kimberly Fiorello (R-Greenwich and Stamford) this week joined Stamford Mayor David Martin, Town Clerk Lyda Ruijter and Turtle Clan Chief Vincent Mann of the Ramapough Lunaape Nation for the unveiling of Stamford’s 381 year-old original deed of gift at Old Town Hall on 175 Atlantic Street.

Originally known as ‘Rippowam’ to members of the indigenous Siwanoy tribe, the settlement was re-named to Stamford after its purchase by the New Haven Colony on July 1st, 1640.

The original four-page deed of gift — handwritten by the parties on sheets of hand-made paper crafted from rags — has been painstakingly preserved and is now permanently on display in the Old Town Hall in Stamford.

###