Posted on August 20, 2021
As we reach the peak of the hurricane season and brace for Tropical Storm Henri, you may want to make note of the following preparedness tips from the state’s new Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection (DESPP):
Recommended Items to Include in a Basic Emergency Supply Kit:
- One gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation
- A three-day supply of non-perishable food
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert and extra batteries for both
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- First aid kit
- A whistle to signal for help
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Local maps
- Cell phone with chargers, inverter or solar charger
Family Emergency Plan:
- Identify an out-of-town contact. It may be easier to make a long-distance phone call than to call across town, so an out-of-town contact may be in a better position to communicate among separated family members.
- Be sure every member of your family knows the phone number and can call the emergency contact. If you have a cell phone, program that person(s) as “ICE” (In Case of Emergency) in your phone. If you are in an accident, emergency personnel will often check your ICE listings in order to get a hold of someone you know. Make sure to tell your family and friends that you’ve listed them as emergency contacts.
- Teach family members how to use text messaging. Text messages can often get around network disruptions when a phone call might not be able to get through.
Subscribe to alert services. Many communities/states now have systems that will send instant text alerts or e-mails to let you know about bad weather, road closings, local emergencies, etc. In Connecticut, go to www.ct.gov/ctalert to register for alerts.
In case of power outages or downed wires, you can call United illuminating at 800 7 CALL UI (800.722.5584).
For more information on Hurricane Preparedness go to www.ct.gov/demhs or www.ready.gov.
Both Fairfield and Trumbull have Emergency Alert Systems. For Fairfield click here or text ‘FairfieldCT’ to ‘888777’. To access Trumbull’s Citizen Alert click here.
If you have a question or concern, please don’t hesitate to reach out by phone 860-240-8700 or email email@example.com