Posted on January 24, 2022
With tax season beginning on Monday, January 24th, I wanted to make you aware of important dates and deadlines to help you navigate through tax season.
January 14: IRS Free File opens. Taxpayers can begin filing returns through IRS Free File partners; tax returns will be transmitted to the IRS starting January 24. Tax software companies also are accepting tax filings in advance. For more on IRS Free File, click here
January 18: Due date for tax year 2021 fourth quarter estimated tax payment
January 24: Individual 2021 tax returns begin being accepted and processing begins
April 18: Due date to file 2021 tax return or request extension and pay tax owed
October 17: Due date to file for those requesting an extension on their 2021 tax returns
For more on what to expect before the April 18th, 2022 tax deadline, click here
To avoid processing delays and speed refunds, the IRS urges people to follow these steps:
- Organize and gather 2021 tax records including Social Security numbers, Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers, Adoption Taxpayer Identification Numbers, and this year’s Identity Protection Personal Identification Numbers valid for calendar year 2022.
- Check IRS.gov for the latest tax information, including the latest on reconciling advance payments of the Child Tax Credit or claiming a Recovery Rebate Credit for missing stimulus payments. There is no need to call.
- Set up or log in securely at IRS.gov/account to access personal tax account information including balance, payments, and tax records including adjusted gross income.
- Make final estimated tax payments for 2021 by Tuesday, January 18, 2022, to help avoid a tax-time bill and possible penalties.
- Individuals can use a bank account, prepaid debit card or mobile app to use direct deposit and will need to provide routing and account numbers. Learn how to open an account at an FDIC-Insured bank or through the National Credit Union Locator Tool.
File a complete and accurate return electronically when ready and choose direct deposit for the quickest refund.
Other Important Links
- Child Tax Credit payment information, click here
- The fastest way for eligible individuals to get their 2021 tax refund that will include their allowable Child Tax Credit and Recovery Rebate Credit is by filing electronically and choosing direct deposit. Click here for more information