Posted on February 11, 2020 by admin
The Republican-American is reporting that the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program is once again offering free tax preparation help to Waterbury residents!
From the Rep-Am:
Volunteers to help taxpayers file their state, federal returns
Volunteers with an IRS program will be available at multiple locations across the city through mid-April to help people with incomes of $56,000 or less file their state and federal income taxes.
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax help to people who make $56,000 or less who need assistance in preparing their tax returns. In collaboration with the Connecticut Association for Human Services, the United Way of Greater Waterbury and the United Way of Naugatuck, the IRS has certified volunteers who will be available at multiple sites through April 13, two days before tax returns are due.
Anyone looking for help from the program must bring a valid photo ID, a copy of their 2018 federal and state returns and all relevant 2019 income, expense and health insurance documents.
The volunteers will be available at the following locations in Waterbury:
- Naugatuck Valley Community College’s Kinney Hall, Room K408, Mondays and Thursdays from 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Children’s Community School, 31 Wolcott Street, Wednesdays from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- Duggan School, 38 West Porter Street, February 20, March 5, March 19 and April 2 from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- Hispanic Coalition of Greater Waterbury, 135 East Liberty Street, Tuesdays
- and Wednesdays from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Silas Bronson Library, 267 Grand Street, Tuesdays from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- New Opportunities Waterbury, 232 North Elm Street, Mondays from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Waterbury Youth Services, 83 Prospect Street, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- They will also be available in Naugatuck, Thomaston and Southbury:
- Naugatuck Senior Center, 300 Meadow Street, Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Thomaston Public Library, 248 Main Street, Tuesdays from 2 p.m. to 5:15 p.m. and Saturdays from 10:15 a.m. to 1:15 p.m.
- Southbury Senior Center, 561 Main Street, Mondays from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- For a full list of all locations or to make an appointment, call 211 and press option 3.
- VITAs Tax Assistance Program and Earned Income Tax Credit Awareness Day Kickoff is Thursday at noon at Silas Bronson Library, 267 Grand St.
For information, contact Glenn McCabe at 203-757-9855, ext. 11, or via email at gmccabe@ unitedwaygw.org