Posted on September 21, 2021
Scheduled Extension of Route 82 Road Closure in Salem for Ongoing Bridge Replacement Activities
The Connecticut Department of Transportation is announcing the scheduled extension of the existing road closure of Route 82 in Salem. Route 82 will remain closed until October 1, 2021, to facilitate ongoing construction activities associated with the replacement of Bridges 01140 and 05401 carrying Route 82 over East Branch Eight Mile River and Swamp Brook.
The extended closure of route 82 is required as a result of delays in obtaining certain third-party prefabricated bridge components as a result of Covid-19 related impacts.
Detour routes are signed and marked to assist motorists.
Route 82 eastbound traffic should travel the signed detour as follows:
- Take a left onto Woodbridge Road and follow to West Road.
- Follow West Road to intersection with Witch Meadow Road.
- Take right onto Witch Meadow Road.
- Take right onto Route 11 southbound onramp.
- Follow Route 11 to exit 4. Exit 4 is intersection with Route 82, and end of detour.
Route 82 westbound traffic should travel the signed detour as follows:
- Take a left onto Darling Road. In tenth of a mile, slight right onto White Birch Road.
- Follow White Birch Road which turns back into Darling Road.
- Darling Road then turns into Salem Road.
- Follow Salem Road to intersection with Route 156 in Lyme. Take a right onto Route 156, and follow to intersection with Route 82. This marks the end of the detour.
Large truck traffic shall travel the signed detour as follows:
- From the east side of the Route 82 closure, at the Route 85/Route 82 roundabout in Salem, trucks shall travel Route 85 south to Interstate 395 southbound in Montville.
- I395 SB merges into to I95 SB. Follow I95 SB to Exit 70 for Route 1 in Old Lyme.
- Route 1 SB/Halls Road to Route 156. Take a right onto Route 156 and follow to intersection of Route 82. This marks the end of the detour.
This detour works in reverse order for trucks travelling west.