Posted on September 8, 2022
Dear Friends & Neighbors,
With school starting and thousands of children soon waiting at the end of their driveways or on the side of a road for the bus, I wanted to remind everyone to be careful on our public roadways. When school is in session, drivers should use extra caution, especially near bus stops, schools, playgrounds, and athletic fields.
Safety tips for drivers:
- State law prohibits passing a school bus with its lights flashing. Some school buses are equipped with cameras to record passing drivers.
- Observe the no-passing law and expect the unexpected when traveling near school buses in school driveways.
- Watch for children, especially when driving in neighborhoods with school zones.
- Watch for children walking in the street, especially if there are no sidewalks in the neighborhood.
- Watch for children playing and gathering near school bus stops.
Safety tips for parents and children:
- Be waiting at your bus stop 5 minutes ahead of the scheduled pick up.
- Wait 10 feet back from the road and wear visible clothing.
- Always wait for the bus driver’s head nod before boarding the bus or crossing the street. They’re watching out for you!
- If you can’t see the driver, then the driver can’t see you. Make visual contact!