Posted on January 16, 2019 by admin
As we go through the winter / holiday season we would like to remind everyone to please practice these fire safety tips to keep yourself and your loved ones safe this winter:
* Remove and dispose of old Christmas trees, wreaths, roping. They burn fiercely as they may have been cut in early Fall.
* Be extremely careful with candles and other open flames.
* Put fireplace ashes in a metal ash can and keep can outside, away from house. Embers stay hot for days. Plastic, paper or cardboard must not be used to remove or store ash.
* Keep space heaters at least 3’ away from combustibles.
* Don’t leave pots on the stove unattended.
* Do not run your generator in your garage, run outdoors in a wide open area. Note the wind direction and where exhaust is going.
* Make sure your home has WORKING smoke alarms and Carbon monoxide detectors on every level of your house.
* Be careful when warming your vehicle. Be diligent if your vehicle operates by a fob or push button ignition. Always make sure your vehicle is off when in the garage.
If you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact our Fire Marshals Division at Firemarshals@greenwichct.org