Posted on August 11, 2021
In response to the rise in juvenile crimes across the state, I have joined my House Republican colleagues in continuing to call for juvenile justice reforms through “Prevention, Accountability, Rehabilitation,” a comprehensive plan we’ve proposed to provide these juvenile offenders with a path for rehabilitation, while also focusing on the personal responsibility aspect for these crimes.
We are calling for our colleagues on the other side of the aisle to convene a special session in order continue these discussions and finally address the issue.
These proposed reforms include:
- Implementing victim impact panels and juvenile delinquency hearings;
- Electronic monitoring for juveniles arrested while awaiting trial on previous offenses;
- Expedited arraignment for felonies, a sex assault, offense involving use of a firearm;
- Court-ordered Family Support Services intervention at juvenile court arraignments;
- Expand circumstances in which a matter is automatically transferred to regular criminal docket;
- Create a new offense of “larceny of a motor vehicle” not tied to the value of the vehicle.
More proposals, with greater detail, can be found at www.stopcarthefts.com
To watch today’s press conferences, click the image below.